We are a non-profit Christian organization that has been located north of Detroit for over 150 years!
The Almont Society of the New Church was started in 1851 by a group of Scots from Glasgow, some by way of Paisley. The first family, the Hamiltons, emigrated in 1840, and letters back home brought other families from Paisley. The group moved together as an example of Scottish clannishness to begin a new life together. The society was originally called the Berlin Township Society of the New Church, but because members received their mail at the Almont Post Office, the name was changed to Almont Society.
Our Chapel was built around 1870 on the land donated by the Reid family. The exact date is unknown, but the earliest photo of the chapel is dated 1871. The Almont Society continued to be the church body into the next century, maintaining the grounds and property and erecting buildings to be used by the Almont New Church Assembly, the name given to the Summer School. The Summer School began in 1899, meeting in the chapel, with boys camping on the grounds and girls boarding at nearby houses.
In the early 80’s, under the leadership of the Rev. Ronald Brugler, Almont New Church Assembly started the Retreat Center by renting the assembly’s facility to groups from places as close as Almont to groups looking to have national meetings.
We are a member of the Swedenborgian Church of North America.
The Almont Society became more inactive in the 1930's and 1940's, and turned the church property and buildings over to the Almont New Church Assembly in 1950. Summer School continued to meet, and buildings were updated as needed. In 1974, the Chapel was moved from its original foundation, located immediately at the corner of Tubspring and Cameron Roads to land purchased to extend the chapel yard. The Chapel now faces the camp and Cameron Road, and is parallel to Tubspring Road. The old foundation is now a large campfire area with benches and a fire pit circled by stones. Almont Summer School celebrated its centennial in 1999, and is looking forward to another 100 years of family, fun, and worship!